Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
This Web site contains the following:
Overview: This is a comprehensive list of Frequently Asked Questions and links to other sites.
Specific Topics: Below is a breakdown by topic of the same information that is in the above Overview.
- Gasoline Why and where MTBE is used in gasoline and its air quality benefits.
- Drinking Water How MTBE may affect your drinking water...what EPA is doing to protect your water supplies.
- Research and Testing Efforts to help assess and manage the potential risks and benefits of MTBE and other fuel oxygenates.
- Underground Storage Tanks What EPA is doing to prevent leaks from underground tanks that store gasoline often containing MTBE.
- Clean Up and Treatment How MTBE-contaminated soil and groundwater can be cleaned up.
- Recommendations and Actions Recommendations of the Blue Ribbon Panel and other actions EPA is taking to address concerns about MTBE.
- Local Information Find out whom to contact in your area for more information on MTBE in drinking water.
- Press Releases EPA press releases about MTBE.