EPA published a draft document, 2003 Draft Update of Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Copper (EPA-822-R-03-026), containing updated freshwater and saltwater aquatic life criteria for copper. These criteria revisions are based in part on new data that have become available since EPA's last comprehensive criteria updates for copper. In addition to incorporating new data, the freshwater criteria also incorporate the use of the biotic ligand model (BLM) in the criteria derivation procedures.
- Fact Sheet: 2003 Draft Updated Aquatic Life Copper Criteria (November 2003)
- Federal Register Notice: Draft Aquatic Life Criteria Document for Copper and Request for Scientific Views (December 31, 2003)
- Background materials available at Regulations.gov using Docket No. EPA-HQ-OW-2003-0079
- 2003 Biotic ligand model (BLM) (zip)(3 pp, 4 MB)
- 2003 Draft Update of Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Copper (PDF)(256 pp, 2 MB, November 2003, EPA 822-R-03-026)