Making a Visible Difference in Communities: Connecticut
Bridgeport, the most populous city in the state of Connecticut, is located in Fairfield County on the Pequonnock River and Long Island Sound. As of the 2010 census, about 16.2% of families and 18.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.8% of those under age 18 and 13.2% of those age 65 or over. Building on past work to address household lead poisoning, EPA worked with the city and other partners on a healthy household project aimed at reducing asthma and lead rates.
Other priorities included:
- restoring local waterbodies
- cleaning up brownfield sites
- improving climate resilience by preparing a water infrastructure vulnerability assessment
- investing in job training for drinking water and other environmental-related careers
- exploring the viability of locating a grocery store on brownfield sites in an effort to improve local access to food.