Michigan Sea Grant and the city of Marquette, Michigan, requested Smart Growth Implementation Assistance for Coastal Communities to help develop a form-based zoning code for Marquette's Downtown Waterfront District. The community wanted to:
- Attract and support vibrant, mixed-use development.
- Connect the waterfront to downtown.
- Preserve water views and community character.
- Create streets that are comfortable for pedestrians.
- Allowing flexibility through simplified code, parking design and management, and street and sidewalk design.
- Improve the walkability of main streets.
The final report, Downtown Waterfront Form-Based Code Workshop (2008), includes a draft form-based code to help Marquette decide how to develop in the Downtown Waterfront District. Using the elements in the report, the city has developed and approved a form-based code for the district.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Downtown Waterfront Form-Based Code Workshop (PDF)(95 pp, 4 MB)