Retrospective Review History
This site provides summaries of priority rulemakings and priority retrospective reviews of existing regulations. We update most of the site at the beginning of each month, though some data is updated more frequently if it is time sensitive. The information on this site is not intended to and does not commit EPA to specific conclusions or actions. For example, after further analysis, EPA may decide the effects of a rule would be different or it may decide to terminate a rulemaking.
Executive Order 13563 (3 pp, 56K, About PDF) directed all federal agencies to develop plans for periodically reviewing existing regulations to determine whether any should be modified, streamlined, expanded, or repealed. EPA completed this plan, with the help of public input. All public comments are accessible online in our dockets on the Regulations.gov website.
Executive Order 13610 (4 pp, 316K, About PDF) directed agencies to prioritize their retrospective review initiatives to include those where quantifiable paperwork reduction may be achieved. EPA's September, 2012 progress report includes those initiatives.
- 01/18/2011 - Executive Order 13563 was issued
- 02/18/2011 to 04/04/2011 - EPA solicited public input on how to design our preliminary plan.
- EPA collected public input in fifteen dockets geared toward different issues, impacts, and program areas (e.g., air, waste, water).
- We hosted 20 public meetings and listening sessions.
- 05/26/2011 - We posted the preliminary plan on this website. Access it on Regulations.gov; it is Document #EPA-HQ-OA-2011-0156-0119.
- 05/26/2011 to 06/27/2011 - We opened a second public comment period so interested parties could comment on the preliminary plan.
- 08/2011 - We released the final version of our plan.
- 01/2012 - We provided the January 2012 progress report.
- 05/2012 - We provided the May 2012 progress report.
- 05/10/2012 - Executive Order 13610 was issued
- 09/2012 - We provided the September 2012 progress report.
- 01/2013 - We provided the January 2013 progress report.
- 07/2013 - We provided the July 2013 progress report.
- 01/2014 - We provided the January 2014 progress report.
- 07/2014 - We provided the July 2014 progress report.
- 02/2015 - We provided the February 2015 progress report.
- 07/2015 - We provided the July 2015 progress report.
- 03/2016 - We provided the January 2016 progress report.
- 08/2016 - We provided the July 2016 progress report.