The United States Environmental Protection Agency, Region 9 (EPA) is issuing its final decision to grant approval, in accordance with the Clean Air Act, of the operating permit renewal for ASARCO LLC Mission Complex – San Xavier, a facility that mines and processes copper sulfide ore, located on the reservation of the Tohono O'odham Nation in Sahuarita, Arizona.
This facility is required to renew its Clean Air Act Title V Operating Permit in accordance with 40 CFR Part 71. The permit contains all of the Clean Air Act requirements that apply to the source and requires that the source conduct monitoring sufficient to enable the EPA and the public to determine whether the source is complying with the applicable air quality requirements. This proceeding is subject to the administrative requirements of 40 CFR 71.11.
A request for public comment regarding the EPA's proposed title V permit renewal was published on May 25, 2017. EPA provided a 30-day public comment period and received no comments. After consideration of the pertinent federal statutes and regulations, the EPA hereby issues a renewed title V permit to operate for ASARCO LLC, Mission Complex.
- By contacting the permit writer, Khoi Nguyen (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 415-947-4120 or by writing to:
US EPA, Region 9
Attn: Khoi Nguyen
(AIR-3) 75 Hawthorne Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
- At the US EPA Region 9 office (address above), Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., excluding federal holidays
- Online at www.regulations.gov under Docket ID No. EPA-R09-OAR-2017-0252
- A finding of fact or conclusion of law which is clearly erroneous;
- An exercise of discretion or an important policy consideration which the Environmental Appeals Board should, in its discretion, review.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Clerk of the Board
Environmental Appeals Board(MC 1103B)
Ariel Rios Building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.
Washington, DC 204606-0001
This permit shall become effective immediately upon issuance per 40 CFR 71.11(i)(2)(iii) unless a petition is filed to review any conditions of this permit as described above, in which case the specific terms and conditions of the permit which are the subject of the request for review will be stayed. This permit is valid for a period of five years and shall expire at midnight on the date five years after its date of issuance unless a timely and complete renewal application has been submitted at least six months, but not more than 18 months, prior to the date of expiration of the permit.