Jump to main content.

Fact Sheet

January 2014

Oil Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Program: Information for Farmers

This fact sheet will assist you, as a farmer, in understanding your obligations under the SPCC Program.


We would like to clarify certain aspects of the SPCC Program, regarding which farms are covered by SPCC and when Plans should be prepared and implemented.

What is SPCC?
The goal of SPCC is to prevent oil spills into waters of the United States and adjoining shorelines. Oil spills can cause injuries to people and damage to the environment. A key element of this program calls for farmers and other facilities to have an oil spill prevention plan, called an SPCC Plan. These Plans can help farmers prevent oil spills which can damage water resources needed for farming operations.

What is considered a farm under SPCC?
Under SPCC, a farm is: “a facility on a tract of land devoted to the production of crops or raising of animals, including fish, which produced and sold, or normally would have produced and sold, $1,000 or more of agricultural products during a year.”

Is my farm covered by SPCC?

SPCC applies to a farm which:

If your farm meets all of these criteria, then your farm is covered by SPCC.

If my farm is covered by SPCC, what should I do?

The SPCC program requires you to prepare and implement an SPCC Plan. If you already have a Plan, maintain it. If you do not have a Plan, you should prepare and implement one. Many farmers will need to have their Plan certified by a Professional Engineer (“PE”). However, you may be eligible to self-certify your amended Plan, as explained below:

TIP: If you are eligible to self-certify your Plan, and no aboveground container at your farm is greater than 5,000 gallons in capacity, then you may use the Plan template that is available to download from EPA's website at: https://www.epa.gov/oem/content/spcc/tier1temp.htm

What information will I need to prepare an SPCC Plan for my farm?

What spill prevention measures should I implement and include in my SPCC Plan?

How and when do I maintain my SPCC Plan?
Amend and update your SPCC Plan when changes are made to the farm, for example, if you add new storage containers (e.g., tanks) that are 55 gallons or larger, or change your oil handling operations. You must review your Plan every five years to make sure it includes any changes in oil storage at your farm.

What should I do if I have an oil spill?

For More Information

Read the SPCC rule and additional resources:

EPA Region 7 Regulatory Contact: Mark Aaron, (913) 551-7205

For additional information concerning cleanup requirements for oil contamination and spills in Region 7, contact:
Iowa Department of Natural Resources Emergency Response: (515) 281-8694
Missouri Department of Natural Resources Emergency Response: (573) 634-2436
Kansas Department of Health and Environment Emergency Response: (785) 296-1679
Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality: (402) 471-2186

Call or send an e-mail to the EPA Ag Compliance Assistance Center: 1-888-663-2155

Call the Superfund, TRI, EPCRA, RMP, and Oil Information Center:
(800) 424-9346 or (703) 412-9810
TDD: (800) 553-7672 or (703) 412-3323

Local Navigation

Jump to main content.