All News Releases By Date
EPA Extends Public Comment Period on the Human Health Risk Assessment for GE Pittsfield / Housatonic River Site
Release Date: 07/01/2003
Contact Information: Peyton Fleming, EPA Press Office, 617-918-1008
BOSTON - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has extended the public comment period for a recently-completed Human Health Risk Assessment for a major section of the Housatonic River in Massachusetts and Connecticut. The deadline for submitting comments is now July 29, 2003.
The deadline for nominations to the peer review panel has not changed. These peer review panel nominations are due by July 14, 2003.
The area evaluated in the assessment, known as the "Rest of River," includes the Housatonic River and floodplain alongside the river from the confluence of the river's East and West branches in Pittsfield downstream to Long Island Sound. The assessment is one in a series of reports being prepared by EPA as part of the Consent Decree negotiated three years ago between EPA, General Electric and other government agencies.
During the comment period, the public is encouraged to:
- Submit comments on the Human Health Risk Assessment for consideration by the peer review panel.
- Submit nominations for people to be considered to serve on the peer review panel.
Alison Wolfe, MNG Center at SRA
2801 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 100
Arlington, VA 22201
Telephone: (703) 284-9492
Copies of the full report can be reviewed at the following locations:
- Berkshire Athenaeum Public Library Reference Department, Pittsfield, MA
- Simon's Rock College of Bard Library, Great Barrington, MA
- Cornwall Public Library, Cornwall, CT
- Kent Memorial Library (Kent Library Association), Kent, CT
- Housatonic Valley Association, Cornwall Bridge, CT
- EPA Records Center, One Congress Street, Suite 1100, Boston, MA