All News Releases By Date
Westchester County Real Estate Firm Signs Agreement with EPA to Enhance Sustainable Practices
Release Date: 04/21/2011
Contact Information: John Martin, (212) 637-3662, email@example.com
(New York, N.Y.) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today signed an agreement with Reckson Real Estate, one of Westchester County’s largest commercial real estate owners, to reduce the environmental impacts of the buildings it manages. The company has agreed to improve energy and water efficiency, reduce waste and use green landscaping practices. Reckson, a division of SL Green Realty Corporation, owns 17 properties in Westchester and 90 properties throughout the New York metropolitan area.
“Buildings consume enormous amounts of natural resources and are responsible for almost 40% of total energy use nationwide,” said EPA Regional Administrator Judith A. Enck. “With this agreement, Reckson is showing that it pays to conserve energy and other valuable resources. This agreement is good for the environment and will result in reduced operating costs for Reckson and its tenants.”
Highlights of the goals under the agreement, which covers more than 100 residential properties, include:
- Promoting energy efficiency, such as the use of energy efficient lighting and motion sensors to turn lights off and on.
- Assessing energy usage at all of its properties, with at least a 10% energy reduction goal at each property. This includes seeking reductions in energy use through on-site renewable energy generation or the purchase of renewable energy from other sources.
- Promoting the use of water conserving plumbing fixtures when properties are being renovated or upgraded.
- Joining EPA’s WasteWise program, further reducing Reckson’s solid waste stream, and increasing recycling and sustainable purchasing. Reckson will also encourage its tenants to participate in the WasteWise program.
- Adding green practice policies to its operations manuals, including the use of integrated pest management; green construction; the purchase of green cleaning products; and control of environmental tobacco smoke.
- Using EPA’s GreenScapes program to guide its landscaping and encouraging its clients to implement green landscaping practices.
- Following EPA’s Clean Construction USA program to reduce emissions from vehicles and other internal combustion engines used in construction and operation of Reckson facilities.
- Pursuing LEED certification and ENERGY STAR labels for Reckson properties.
EPA has similar agreements in place with a number of major sports organizations, universities, hospital systems and real estate firms in New York and New Jersey. For more information on EPA green agreements, visit https://www.epa.gov/region02/greenteam/.
Follow EPA Region 2 on Twitter at http://twitter.com/eparegion2 and visit our Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/eparegion2.