All News Releases By Date
Organizations Honored for Environmental Justice Achievements
Release Date: 10/21/2008
Contact Information: Dave Ryan, (202) 564-4355 / email@example.com
(Washington, D.C. – Oct. 21, 2008) Projects that include empowering residents to clean up New Orleans East for a safe return after Hurricane Katrina and developing a tool to target high-risk homes with lead contamination in Durham, N.C., are winners of EPA's first Environmental Achievement Awards. Twelve award recipients include community-based organizations, universities, and state and local governments from nine states.
"We all have a stake in ensuring that our air is cleaner, our water is purer, and our land is better protected," said Granta Nakayama, assistant administrator for EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. "These organizations are making a positive impact in their communities by promoting a clean and healthy environment for all people."
The awards recognize organizations for their distinguished accomplishments in addressing environmental justice issues. EPA received dozens of nominations from across the United States.
For information on recipients of the Environmental Justice Achievement Awards visit: epa.gov/compliance/environmentaljustice/awards
The following organizations received awards:
1. Anahola Homesteaders Council (Anahola, Kauai, Hawaii)
2. Center for Environmental and Economic Justice (Biloxi, Miss.)
3. Citizens for Environmental Justice (Savannah, Ga.)
4. Communities for a Better Environment (Huntington Park, Calif.)
5. Dillard University, Deep South Center for Environmental Justice (New Orleans)
6. Duke University, Children's Environmental Health Initiative (Durham, N.C.)
7. Medical University of South Carolina (Charleston, S.C.)
8. Negocio Verde Environmental Justice Task Force (County of San Diego, Calif.)
9. New Mexico Environment Department (Santa Fe, N.M.)
10. Safer Pest Control Project (Chicago)
11. South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (Columbia, S.C.)
12. West End Revitalization Association (Mebane, N.C.)