All News Releases By Date
EPA Awarded $2 Million in Environmental Information Grants
Release Date: 08/12/2003
Suzanne Ackerman 202-564-7819 / email@example.com
(08/12/03) Acting Administrator Marianne Horinko today announced over $2 million in environmental information grants to four states, the District of Columbia and two Native American tribes. This is the first phase of fiscal year 2003 funding for ongoing work on the National Environmental Information Exchange Network, which enables sharing of environmental data between EPA, states, tribes and other partners over the Internet. When completed, the Exchange Network will integrate state and federal environmental data, facilitate the reporting of data to EPA Headquarters by the states, and improve data quality.
“The Report on the Environment indicated areas where more data is required to make important environmental assessments,” said Horinko. “One of the biggest obstacles to states and private companies reporting data to EPA is incompatible computer systems that do not allow the smooth transfer of data on-line. The grants announced today allow states and tribes to continue important work in resolving technology transfer issues, with the long-term goal of a national environmental management system that gives both EPA and all citizens the best environmental data possible.”
The Exchange Network fosters the principles of the President’s e-government initiative, which uses Internet technology to streamline reporting, improve the delivery of timely and reliable data to citizens and increase cooperation among federal, state, and tribal authorities.
The following states and tribes will receive grants this week:
- • North Dakota Department of Health, Environmental Health Section, One Stop Grant of $500,000
• District of Columbia Department of Health, One Stop Grant of $500,000
• Delaware Department of Natural Resources & Environmental Control, Readiness Grant of $297,700
• Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Readiness Grant of $297,700
• Maryland Department of the Environment, Readiness Grant of $297,700
• Cherokee Nation (Okla.), Challenge Grant of $190,000
• Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe ( N.Y.), Readiness Grant of $100,000.
More information on the different types of grants and EPA’s National Environmental Information Exchange Network is available at: https://www.epa.gov/Networkg/