All News Releases By Date
Cardozo Lockers Screened for Mercury
Release Date: 3/18/2005
Contact Information: David Sternberg, (215) 814-5548
David Sternberg, (215) 814-5548
• EPA, DC Public Schools and DC Department of Health have completed screening the lockers at Cardozo High School for mercury vapors.
• Out of about 1600 lockers, the teams found only one containing mercury vapor. DCPS took over the investigation of that locker.
• EPA is currently screening the areas outside and adjacent to the science labs for mercury vapors. If mercury is detected, those areas will be turned over to DCPS for cleanup.
• EPA has provided results of mercury sampling and cleanup to DCDOH.
• Once DCDOH has reviewed all the data from the mercury cleanup, they will make recommendations to DCPS on the safety of reopening the school.