All News Releases By Date
Children at 17 Massachusetts Schools Receive Environmental Awards
Release Date: 06/07/2005
Contact: Sheryl Rosner, EPA Office of Public Affairs, (617) 918-1865, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Immediate Release: June 7, 2005; Release # sr050605
BOSTON – More than 500 children from 17 Massachusetts elementary schools received US EPA Paul G. Keough Earth Artist awards at a celebration today, Tuesday, at Faneuil Hall in Boston.
Students from around New England participated in the 32nd annual Earth Artist contest to demonstrate their knowledge of and commitment to a clean environment.
"These students in Massachusetts and throughout New England understand what it takes to protect our environment, and have done artwork that encourages all of us to help keep our air, land and water cleaner," said EPA New England's regional administrator Robert W. Varney. "At our ceremony, we recognize students in Massachusetts who may well be tomorrow's environmental leaders."
Massachusetts winners of the Earth Artist contest were recognized at the ceremony where their art and poetry were displayed. Students received certificates for their accomplishments.
The Earth Artists program requires that teachers use class time to talk about environmental issues. The students are encouraged to submit either a poem or poster to EPA New England that demonstrates their knowledge. Children from kindergarten through sixth grade are eligible to participate. All submissions are judged by a panel of EPA staff.
Students from the following Massachusetts schools were recognized at the ceremony:
- St. Francis School, Roxbury
- Johnson School, Nahant
- Next Generation Children's Center, Franklin
- Parker Avenue School, Dracut
- Brookside Elementary School, Dracut
- Hastings Elementary School, Westborough
- McGovern School, Medway
- Delany Primary School, Wrentham
- Charles Roderick School Wrentham
- Ferryway School, Malden
- Cold Springs School, Plymouth
- Dighton Elementary School, Dighton
- Dunn Middle School, Danvers
- Learning Prep School, W. Newton
- B.H. Wood School, Plainville
- Our Lady of the Valley School, Uxbridge
- St. Mary's Elementary School, Worcester
Poem & Poster Contest