All News Releases By Date
America Recycles Day - November 15 - Demonstrate Your Commitment to Recycling
Release Date: 11/13/2003
Contact Information: Bonnie Smith, 215-814-5543
Bonnie Smith, 215-814-5543
PHILADELPHIA – November 15 is America Recycles Day.
“At EPA, we take this day to heart. Our employees go beyond their daily household recycling and in-house agency recycling programs. We encourage you to do the same,” said Donald S. Welsh, EPA mid-Atlantic regional administrator.
Americans are used to recycling glass, aluminum cans, paper, cardboard, and steel cans. Here are some other ideas for recyling that you may wish to consider:
- used eyeglasses for donation to the Lions Club.
- cell phones and accessories. This year EPA regional employees’ donations will go to Motorola’s Call-To-Protect Program who repairs cell phones and donates them to victims of domestic violence.
- empty ink jet printer cartridges. This year the region’s printer cartridges will be sent to Emerald Recycling who will refill them and for each one sold, Emerald Recycling will donate $2 to the Children’s Miracle Network.
- new small toys for hospital emergency rooms.
- computers and other electronics.
- clothing. One idea is a “swap-a-rama” where employees donate clean, usable clothing, and video tapes and CDs in good, working condition. During the day, employees trade and the items that are not swapped are donated. This year EPA’s regional office will donate clothing to the Philadelphia Mayor’s Office for the Homeless.
For additional information about recycling and events going on in your state, check out the America Recycles Day website at . Additional information is also provided on your state’s environmental agency website.
For a list of vendors in PA who rent, repair, or sell used products go to the "Use it Again PA" web site at: .
For recycled content products go to PA's On-line Recycled Products Guide at: .