All News Releases By Date
EPA Issues Final Cleanup Decision for Reynolds Metals Superfund Site
Release Date: 10/02/2006
Contact Information: Judy Smith, 503-326-6994, email@example.com Chip Humphrey, (503) 326-2678, firstname.lastname@example.org Tony Brown, (206) 553-1203, email@example.com
(Troutdale, OR – Oct. 2, 2006) The U. S Environmental Protection Agency Region 10 (EPA) has selected a final cleanup plan for the Reynolds Metals Superfund Site near Troutdale, Oregon. EPA Superfund Program Director Dan Opalski signed the Record of Decision (ROD) on September 29, 2006.
- making sure that future use of the site is consistent with the cleanup levels achieved by placing appropriate use restrictions on the property;
- preventing the use of contaminated groundwater for approximately 20 years until it is cleaned up and permanently restricting the use of groundwater from the shallow silt zone in the south plant area;
- operating the focused extraction/production well optimization (FE/PWO) system to continue removing contamination in the groundwater;
- maintaining and monitoring capped areas; and
- monitoring groundwater to make sure the cleanup is effective.
The final cleanup calls for:
The proposed plan was made available for public review on August 4, 2006. Two meetings were held to present information to community members.
EPA and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) will continue to oversee the ongoing groundwater cleanup and monitoring. EPA will also conduct a review every five years to make sure that the cleanup continues to be effective.
The Record of Decision and other key project documents are available on the EPA website at: https://yosemite.epa.gov/r10/cleanup.nsf/sites/reynolds.
Subscribe to automatically receive Region 10 News Releases via email at: