All News Releases By Date
Children at 19 Massachusetts Schools Win Awards for Environmental Art
Release Date: 06/02/2006
Contact Information: David Deegan, (617) 918-1017
(Boston, Mass. - June 2, 2006) - More than 300 children from 19 Massachusetts elementary schools received US EPA Paul G. Keough Earth Artist awards at a celebration at 10 am Friday, June 2 at the Faneuil Hall in Boston.
Students from around New England participated in the 34th annual Earth Artist contest to demonstrate their knowledge of and commitment to a clean environment.
"Students in Massachusetts and elsewhere in New England are our best hope for the future protection of our environment,” said Robert W. Varney, regional administrator of EPA’s New England office. “This ceremony recognizes artwork done by these students to encourage all of us to help keep our air, land and water cleaner.”
Massachusetts winners of the Earth Artist contest were recognized at the ceremony where their art and poetry were displayed. Students received certificates for their accomplishments.
The Earth Artists program requires that teachers use class time to talk about environmental issues. The students are encouraged to submit either a poem or poster to EPA New England that demonstrates their knowledge. Children from kindergarten through sixth grade are eligible to participate. All submissions are judged by a panel of EPA staff.
Students from the following Massachusetts schools were recognized at the ceremony:
· Throndyke Road School & St. Mary’s School, Worcester, MA
· Johnson School, Nahant, MA
· Brookside Elementary School, Dracut, MA
· Proctor School, Northboro, MA
· Beatrice Wood School, Plainville, MA
· Holten Richmond Middle School, Danvers, MA
· Our Lady of the Valley, Uxbridge, MA
· Charles Roderick School & Delaney Elementary School, Wrentham, MA
· Learning Prep School, W. Newton, MA
· Freetown-Lakeville Middle School, Lakeville, MA
· Dighton Elementary School, Dighton, MA
· Kennedy School, Somerville, MA
· Hastings Elementary School, Westborough, MA
· Ashfield, Elementary School, Brockton, MA
· Ferryway School, Malden, MA
· Cold Spring School, Plymouth, MA
· Naquag Elementary School, Rutland, MA
More information on EPA's Earth Artist Awards (epa.gov/region1/students/poem.html)
# # #