All News Releases By Date
New EPA awards will recognize environmental stewardship at feedlots
Release Date: 09/29/2006
Contact Information: Phillippa Cannon, (312) 353-6218, email@example.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CHICAGO (Sept. 29, 2006) - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 5 announced it is seeking nominations for new annual regional awards to recognize concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) that make outstanding efforts to protect water quality. The awards are intended to encourage effective environmental management of such facilities.
"Managers of feedlots have an important role to play in protecting water quality," said Jo-Lynn Traub, EPA Regional Water Division Director. "EPA will recognize leaders in the industry who demonstrate exceptional environmental stewardship through innovative pollution prevention and management and treatment of waste at their facilities."
The Water Resources Stewardship Award for CAFOs is open to beef, dairy, swine and poultry concentrated animal feeding operations in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin. Individuals, agricultural organizations and agribusinesses may nominate potential award winners to the water quality contact at their state environmental agency by mid-January 2007. Award recipients will be selected and notified by EPA by March 30, 2007.
State water quality contacts are:
- Dick Breckenridge, Illinois EPA, (217) 558-6818, Richard.Breckenridge@epa.state.il.us;
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management;
- Ronda Wuycheck, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, (517) 241-7832, firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Bob Finley, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, (320) 214-3794, Robert.email@example.com;
- Cathy Alexander, Ohio EPA, (614) 644-2021, Cathy.Alexander@epa.state.oh.us;
- Gordon Stevenson, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, (608) 267-2759, Gordon.Stevenson@dnr.state.wi.us
Instructions, rules and guidelines for the awards program are posted on EPA's Web site: www.epa.gov/region5/agriculture/cafo-awards.htm
# # #