This document provides an overview of existing state activities that reduce CO2 emissions from the power sector. Policies and programs range from market-based programs and CO2 emissions performance standards that require CO2 emissions reductions from EGUs, to others, such as renewable portfolio standards (RPS) and energy efficiency resource standards (EERS), that reduce CO2 emissions by altering the mix of energy supply and reducing energy demand. States have developed their policies and programs with stakeholder input and tailored them to their own circumstances and priorities.
Links to the full document as well as the sub-sections are provided below.You may need Adobe Reader to view files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Cutting Power Sector Carbon Pollution State Policies and Programs (PDF)(52 pp, 1 MB)
- Market based emission limits (PDF)(9 pp, 567 K)
- CO2 Emission Performance Standards (PDF)(9 pp, 495 K)
- Energy Efficiency Resource Standards (PDF)(5 pp, 470 K)
- Demand Side Energy Efficiency Programs (PDF)(3 pp, 393 K)
- Building Codes (PDF)(4 pp, 552 K)
- Appliance and Equipment Efficiency Standards (PDF)(2 pp, 291 K)
- Incentives and Finance Mechanisms for Energy Efficiency (PDF)(3 pp, 389 K)
- Renewable Portfolio Standards (PDF)(4 pp, 431 K)
- Performance-based Incentives and Finance Mechanisms for Renewable Energy (PDF)(2 pp, 293 K)
- Utility Planning Approaches and Requirements (PDF)(9 pp, 574 K)