News Releases from Region 07
Principal Real Estate Investors, Des Moines, Iowa, Receives 2018 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Lenexa, Kan., April 2, 2018) - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) are once again honoring Principal Real Estate Investors, LLC, of Des Moines, Iowa, with ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence for Energy Management, in recognition of its longstanding commitment to sustainability and implementation of ENERGY STAR best practices for comprehensive energy management.
EPA and DOE are honoring 163 ENERGY STAR partners this year, including utilities, schools, Fortune 500 companies, hospitals, retailers, manufacturers, home builders, and commercial building owners and operators for their outstanding contributions to public health and the environment. These enterprises are named ENERGY STAR Partners of the Year for demonstrating national leadership in cost-saving, energy-efficient solutions. Recipients of the 2018 Partner of the Year Awards come from 35 states.
Principal Real Estate Investors is the dedicated real estate investment group of Principal Global Investors. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Benchmarking 183 buildings in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, totaling 32 million square feet and $10 billion in real estate value.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification for 53 properties.
- Reducing energy consumption in 2017 by 6.1 percent and avoiding 7,700 metric tons of CO2 emissions over 2016 levels, contributing to $38.5 million in cumulative avoided energy costs and a $118.9 million increase in asset value over a 2008 baseline.
- Expanding on its Energy Playbook program, and launching multiple new program initiatives such as its Utility Data Management policy, Smart Buildings policy, Smart Buildings blog series, Fund Sustainability Dashboard pilot, and tenant sustainability dashboard.
- Surpassing its energy savings target of 10 percent by 2020, and setting a new target of 20 percent.
- Expanding its Scope of Work for Appraisals to require the review and incorporation of ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® data as part of property appraisals.
The awards will be presented in Washington, D.C., at the Washington Hilton Hotel on April 20, 2018. EPA Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation Bill Wehrum, together with CMS Energy CEO Patti Poppe, will deliver keynote presentations.
“The 2018 ENERGY STAR Partners of the Year have demonstrated real leadership, showing how American families and businesses can save energy, save money, and reduce air emissions,” said Wehrum.
For over 25 years, EPA’s ENERGY STAR program has been America’s resource for saving energy and protecting the environment. In 2016 alone, ENERGY STAR-certified products, homes, buildings, and plants helped Americans save over $30 billion in energy costs and approximately 400 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity, while achieving broad emissions reductions.
Learn more about each of the award winner's achievements
About ENERGY STAR: ENERGY STAR® is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, providing simple, credible, and unbiased information that consumers and businesses rely on to make well-informed decisions. Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state, and local organizations – including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 500® – rely on their partnership with EPA to deliver cost-saving, energy-efficiency solutions. Together, since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners have helped save American families and businesses over $450 billion and over 3.5 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity, while also achieving broad emissions reductions – all through voluntary action.
# # #
Join the millions already making a difference at www.energystar.gov
Learn more about EPA Region 7
View all Region 7 news releases
Connect with EPA Region 7 on Facebook: www.facebook.com/eparegion7
Follow us on Twitter: @EPARegion7