News Releases from Region 07
Metro Lighting of Brentwood, Mo., Receives Energy Star Awards for Energy Management, Climate Communication
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Lenexa, Kan., April 7, 2015) - Metro Lighting of Brentwood, Mo., has been honored as an Energy Star Partner of the Year for Sustained Excellence for its commitment to demonstrating environmental and financial stewardship through comprehensive energy management. The company also received a second Energy Star award, for Climate Communication, for raising awareness of the impacts of climate change.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) are honoring 128 businesses and organizations in 33 states with the Energy Star's Partner of the Year awards for their commitments to saving energy and protecting the environment through superior energy efficiency achievements.
Metro Lighting is Missouri's largest lighting distributor and has distinguished itself through its efforts to promote the sale of Energy Star certified lighting products and sustainable practices. Metro Lighting's key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Continuing its commitment to increase stocking of a variety of Energy Star certified lighting fixtures and bulbs, including a variety of ceiling fans, vent fans, decorative fixtures, light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs, and commercial light fixtures - achieving a 17 percent increase compared to 2013.
- Demonstrating its commitment to Energy Star and the environment by changing 7,937 incandescent bulbs to Energy Star certified LED bulbs throughout its showrooms, saving more than one gigawatt hour annually, enough to power 104 homes.
- Offering free lighting audits and online sales of Energy Star certified fixtures through website updates.
Metro Lighting is one of seven receiving Energy Star Partner of the Year for Climate Communication recognition for its commitment to educating employees, leadership, stakeholders, and customers about energy efficiency and the impacts of climate change. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Recognizing the important role the sales associate plays in being the voice of Energy Star and the energy efficiency movement in general. Metro Lighting includes Energy Star education for every new employee and at quarterly companywide lighting sales meetings. These meetings focus on teaching their sales force the benefits of selling Energy Star certified products to consumers, including a focus on protecting the climate.
- Metro Lighting's Sustainability Director presented at the Green Homes Festival. The presentation featured easy ways to be energy-efficient at home and how individuals can have a positive impact on climate change.
- Participating in the St. Louis Green Business Challenge. The St. Louis Regional Chamber and Growth Association developed the challenge to help companies and organizations adopt sustainable business practices that can reduce environmental impact, protect the climate, and help businesses remain competitive.
- Updating the company website to allow customers to purchase Energy Star certified lighting fixtures online and learn about the importance of protecting the climate. The website also demonstrated how residential and commercial customers could receive free lighting audits.
Placing advertisements about Energy Star, including climate protection messaging, to reach an estimated audience of more than 10 million.
"Our Energy Star Partner of the Year award winners demonstrate that energy efficiency is a smart business decision that supports their bottom line, and helps their customers save money and energy," said EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy. "I congratulate our Energy Star Partners of the Year for their leadership and commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and taking action that will help us leave a healthier planet for future generations."
The awards will be presented April 20 in Washington, D.C., at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. EPA Administrator McCarthy and Jim Gibbons, Goodwill Industries International President and CEO, will provide keynote remarks.
Complete list of award winners
More information about Metro Lighting's energy efficiency program
Learn more about how EPA can work with your organizations to save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions
View all Region 7 news releases
Locate this and other Region 7 news items on the News in the Heartland interactive map
Connect with EPA Region 7 on Facebook: www.facebook.com/eparegion7
Twitter: @EPARegion7 @MetroLighting1