News Releases from Region 09
Media Advisory: U.S. EPA, State, Local Officials to Celebrate Green Businesses in Oakland
SAN FRANCISCO – On Thursday, November 3, U.S. EPA Acting Regional Administrator Alexis Strauss will be joined by state and local leaders to spotlight three Oakland businesses for their efforts to “go green.” EPA will also announce the award of a new Pollution Prevention grant to support the expansion of the California Green Business Network, a non-profit organization that helps businesses, including those in economically-disadvantaged communities, adopt green practices.
To receive Green Business certification, companies must show how they conserve resources and prevent pollution, such as using LED lighting and purchasing ENERGY STAR products. To date, 3,396 California Green Business participants have saved more than $41 million and reduced emissions of greenhouse gases by more than one million tons.
Thursday, November 3, 2016, 10:00-10:45 AM
- Alexis Strauss, Acting Regional Administrator, U.S. EPA, Region 9
- La Ronda Bowen, Small Business Ombudsman, California Air Resources Board
- Jo Fleming, Executive Director, California Green Business Network
- Carolina Miranda, Program Coordinator, Alameda County Green Business Program
- Martin Bond, Executive Director, Community Service Energy Corporation
Brief remarks followed by a tour of Mandela Foods Cooperative’s green practices and technologies, including a new food waste reduction and composting system.
Media availability with speakers and Oakland-based California Green Business Program participants:
- Mandela Foods Cooperative, Adrionna Fike, Co-owner and Buyer
- Starline Supply Company, Julie Fishman, President/CEO
- Pipe Spy, Inc., Ikeena Hardman, Marketing Assistant
Mandela Foods Cooperative, 1430 West Oakland, CA 94607 (across from the West Oakland BART Station).
Parking lots nearby, limited street parking
Credentialed press who would like to attend this event, or for more information, please contact Michele Huitric, email@example.com, 415-972-3165.
# # #