News Releases from Region 07
EPA Region 7 and Donnelly College to Combine Efforts on Joint Research and Teaching Initiatives
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Lenexa, Kan., September 29, 2015) - Representatives of EPA Region 7 and Donnelly College today signed a Memorandum of Agreement to create new joint research and teaching initiatives at the school. The agreement benefits both the federal agency's regional operations and Donnelly College.
EPA Acting Regional Administrator Mark Hague and Donnelly President Monsignor Stuart Swetland signed the agreement during EPA Region 7's observance of National Hispanic Heritage Month at the agency's regional office in Lenexa, Kan.
"With this agreement as our framework, EPA Region 7 looks forward to building an effective and cooperative working relationship with Donnelly," Hague said. "The school has noted teaching and research programs. Combining our efforts will create a wealth of new knowledge and practices that will benefit both our communities and the people we serve here in the Heartland. EPA Region 7 is fortunate to have Donnelly as our partner."
Located in Kansas City, Kan., and with roots dating back to 1949, Donnelly College is the only college in the four-state region designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution that offers a four-year degree option. Forty-two percent of Donnelly's 900 students are Hispanic. The school has a proud tradition of being an invaluable resource to address the problem of underrepresentation of Hispanics in science, mathematics, information technologies and engineering fields, in addition to the participation of Hispanic students in national environmental programs.
The new agreement outlines 10 areas of cooperation between the agency and the college:
- Joint Research Projects - Donnelly will be made aware of opportunities to participate in research sponsored by EPA Region 7 through the submission of proposals for grants and cooperative agreements.
- Faculty Research Participation - Visits of Donnelly's faculty, staff and students to EPA Region 7's facilities for meetings, workshops, training events, tours and research participation will be encouraged and facilitated. Temporary faculty appointments may be offered during summer periods and, when appropriate, may be sponsored for long-term research participation.
- Adjunct Faculty Appointments - Donnelly will consider adjunct faculty appointments for EPA Region 7 staff. Temporary appointments may be offered during summer periods and, when appropriate, may be sponsored for long-term research participation.
- Student Internships and Employment at EPA Region 7 - Donnelly students will be encouraged to take advantage of existing EPA Region 7 programs designed for student participation and training. This will include current programs allowing opportunities for graduating and undergraduate students to gain experience during the academic year and summers, as well as paid and volunteer internship projects. EPA may make paid and non-paid internship projects available.
- Technical Assistance - EPA Region 7 staff may visit Donnelly for consultations, meetings, workshops and seminars, and may assist the university with development of syllabi for on-campus course work as requested and as the agency's resources are available. EPA Region 7 will strive to make key training tools available as Donnelly seeks opportunities to acquire federal funding.
- Mini-Courses, Lectures and Seminar Speakers - EPA Region 7 will inform Donnelly about technical training support that the agency may offer on subjects such as inspections and certifications, biology, chemistry, engineering, physical and environmental sciences, waste disposal and other subjects.
- Equipment - Consistent with all requirements of federal property regulations, EPA Region 7 may provide excess and surplus research, scientific equipment, publications, periodicals and office furniture to Donnelly to meet the needs of current and planned education, research and training programs.
- Outreach Program - EPA Region 7 staff will make best efforts to attend university sponsored career fairs and other outreach events, and will encourage Donnelly students to apply for paid and non-paid internship opportunities.
- Grant Opportunities - EPA Region 7 may provide grant application assistance to the university in accordance with applicable grant regulations, Donnelly's respective mission and purpose, and EPA Region 7's resource capacity.
- Environmental Student Initiatives - EPA Region 7 will support Donnelly in its quest for environmental awareness on campus through such activities as educating students on environmental sustainability, and providing presentations on topics that support sustainability and environmental safety.
A copy of the signed MOA is available online.