Archive - Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Former GM Delco Plant 5 Facility - Kokomo, Indiana
EPA Web Archive: This content is no longer maintained.
The Former GM Delco Plant 5 Facility is located in the city of Kokomo on a 10.5-acre vacant grass lot. This location is in an area zoned for light and heavy industry with some residential property east of the site. The former Plant 5 facility occupied approximately 144,000 square feet of floor space and was initially built in 1915.
From 1915 to 1926 the facility was used by Apperson Brothers Automobile Company to assemble Haynes automobiles. In 1926 the building was owned by Wolfe Manufacturing Industries, which manufactured radio cabinets. It was later purchased in the late 1930s by Reliance Manufacturing. It was used for manufacturing women’s clothing and packing parachutes during World War II. In 1953, General Motors Delco Division purchased the building and was using the facility to assemble and test circuit boards when the plant closed in 1991. Demolition, including the removal of the floor slab, was completed in 1993. At that time, the site may have been graded with approximately one foot of clean soil.
When it closed in 1991, the facility was used to produce electronic circuit boards for automotive applications. The production of the circuit boards required a solvent-based coating for protection which serves as the likely source of TCE contamination in the site soils and groundwater.
EPA's Sept. 30, 2011 Administrative Order on Consent together with the Revitalizing Auto Communities Environmental Response (RACER) required an environmental investigation to define the nature and extent of contamination at the site and an appropriate cleanup, if necessary.
EPA will be proposing appropriate cleanup activities and providing the public with an opportunity to comment on those proposed activities in the Statement of Basis document.